9 de junho de 2008

*

Final scene of the episode, Senator Vinick in front of the White House at night with a gaggle of reporters, picking up after he touts his championing a hike in the minimum wage:

Reporter: "Senator, are you going to reconsider Reverend Butler's invitation to his church this weekend?"

Vinick: "I fully respect Reverend Butler's position. I mean, I appreciate his invitation and, look, I respect Reverend Butler and I respect his church too much to use it for my own political purposes. And that's exactly what I'd be doing if I went down there this Sunday, because the truth is it would just be an act of political phoniness. I may be wrong, but I suspect our churches already have enough political phonies in them."

Reporter: "Senator, do you or do you not-"

Vinick: "I don't see how we can have a separation of church and state in this government if you have to pass a religious test to get in this government. And I want to warn everyone in the press and all the voters out there. If you demand expressions of religious faith from politicians, you are just begging to be lied to. They won't all lie to you, but a lot of them will, and it'll be the easiest lie they ever had to tell to get your votes. So, every day until the end of this campaign, I'll answer any question anyone has on government. But if you have a question on religion, please, go to church. Thank you."

West Wing, NBC  (Os Homens do Presidente, AXN)